Corona Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in Coronaviruses. Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and humans. Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, and shortness of breath. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing. Also avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
A pneumonia of unknown cause detected in Wuhan, China was first reported to the WHO on 31 December 2019. The outbreak of COVID-19 was declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on 30 January 2020 by the WHO. As of March 11th, the WHO declared the rapidly spreading coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, acknowledging that the virus will likely spread to all countries in the world.
The objectives of Corona Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for coronaviruses and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to coronaviruses. What do you know about the novel Coronavirus that is causing a health emergency?
- 23 July 2021 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: July 23, 2021 | FDA - FDA.gov
Fri, 23 Jul 2021 20:00 GMT
- States scale back coronavirus reporting just as cases surge - Boston.com
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 17:08 GMT
- The Most Influential Spreader of Coronavirus Misinformation Online - The New York Times
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:06 GMT
- Covid-19 hospitalizations in Los Angeles County more than doubled in 2 weeks - CNN
Sun, 25 Jul 2021 00:38 GMT
- Hawaii reports 258 coronavirus cases, and no new deaths - KHON2
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 21:55 GMT
- Maine Lawmaker Who Opposed Coronavirus Restrictions Reportedly Has COVID-19 - Maine Public
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:16 GMT
- Dutch Rower Tests Positive For Coronavirus After Competing : Live Updates: The Tokyo Olympics - NPR
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:29 GMT
- Vietnam reports record 7968 coronavirus cases on Saturday - Reuters
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 12:45 GMT
- Thousands Protest Coronavirus Lockdowns In Australia - NPR
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:48 GMT
- Can Japanese Natto Beans Help Fight Covid-19 Coronavirus? What This Study Really Showed - Forbes
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:37 GMT
- Coronavirus: Mum urges 'get jab' after son hospitalised - BBC News
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 07:17 GMT
- 20 July 2021 Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: July 20, 2021 | FDA - FDA.gov
Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:30 GMT
- In southwest Missouri, the coronavirus Delta variant and freedom collide - The Boston Globe
Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:17 GMT
- Coronavirus Briefing: What Happened Today - The New York Times
Fri, 23 Jul 2021 20:52 GMT
- Governor Lamont Provides Update on Connecticut's Coronavirus Response Efforts - CT.gov
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 19:47 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> COVID-19 update (250): caregiver loss, school buses, mRNA vaccines, WHO
Thu, 22 Jul 2021 20:39:34 -0400
COVID-19 -- Worldwide/Unknown
The B.1.617.2 (delta) variant of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), the virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19), has contributed to a surge in cases in India and has now been detected across the globe, including a notable increase in cases in the United Kingdom. The effectiveness of the BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccines against this variant has been unclear.
We used a test-negative case-control design to
- COVID-19 and mucormycosis superinfection: the perfect storm Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: With the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and increasing number of critically ill patients infected with SARS-CoV-2, it is important to develop a risk-based approach for patients at risk of mucormycosis based on the epidemiological burden of mucormycosis, prevalence of diabetes mellitus, COVID-19 disease severity and use of immune modulating agents including the combined use of corticosteroids and immunosuppressive agents in patients with cancer and transplants.
- Cell membrane-camouflaged liposomes for tumor cell-selective glycans engineering and imaging in vivo Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The dynamic change of cell-surface glycans is involved in diverse biological and pathological events such as oncogenesis and metastasis. Despite tremendous efforts, it remains a great challenge to selectively distinguish and label glycans of different cancer cells or cancer subtypes. Inspired by biomimetic cell membrane-coating technology, herein, we construct pH-responsive azidosugar liposomes camouflaged with natural cancer-cell membrane for tumor cell-selective glycan engineering. With cancer...
- A vision of immuno-oncology: the Siena think tank of the Italian network for tumor biotherapy (NIBIT) foundation Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: Novel immunotherapies are needed in cancer patients with resistance to or relapse after current immunotherapeutic drugs. Such new treatments may include targeted agents or monoclonal antibodies to overcome the immune-suppressive tumor microenvironment. The mode of combining the novel treatments, including vaccines, needs to be matched to the patient's immune status for achieving the maximum benefit. In this scenario, specific attention should be also paid nowadays to the immune...
- PnBA-b-PNIPAM-b-PDMAEA Thermo-Responsive Triblock Terpolymers and Their Quaternized Analogs as Gene and Drug Delivery Vectors Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
In this work, the ability of thermo-responsive poly [butyl acrylate-b-N-isopropylacrylamide-b-2-(dimethylamino) ethyl acrylate] (PnBA-b-PNIPAM-b-PDMAEA) triblock terpolymer self-assemblies, as well as of their quaternized analogs (PnBA-b-PNIPAM-b-QPDMAEA), to form polyplexes with DNA through electrostatic interactions was examined. Terpolymer/DNA polyplexes were prepared in three different amine over phosphate group ratios (N/P), and linear DNA with a 2000 base pair length was used. In aqueous...
- A Qualitative Approach to Help Adjust the Design of Management Subjects in ICT Engineering Undergraduate Programs through User Experience in a Smart Classroom Context Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Qualitative research activities, including first-day of class surveys and user experience interviews on completion of a subject were carried out to obtain students' feedback in order to improve the design of the subject 'Information Systems' as a part of a general initiative to enhance ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) engineering programs. Due to the COVID-19 (corona virus disease 2019) pandemic, La Salle URL adopted an Emergency Remote Teaching tactical solution in the second...
- Surgical Aortic Mitral Curtain Replacement: Systematic Review and Metanalysis of Early and Long-Term Results Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
The Commando procedure is challenging, and aims to replace the mitral valve, the aortic valve and the aortic mitral curtain, when the latter is severely affected by pathological processes (such as infective endocarditis or massive calcification). Given the high complexity, it is seldomly performed. We aim to review the literature on early (hospitalization and up to 30 days) and long-term (at least 3 years of follow-up) results. Bibliographical research was performed on PubMed and Cochrane with a...
- Impact of Chronic RAAS Use in Elderly COVID-19 Patients: A Retrospective Analysis Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Corona Virus Disease-19 (COVID-19) recently emerged as a global pandemic. Advanced age is the most important risk factor for increased virus susceptibility and worse outcomes. Many older adults are currently treated with renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) inhibitors and there is concern that these medications might increase the risk of mortality by COVID-19. This is a retrospective cohort of 346 patients older than 65 years with COVID-19, at the Department of Medicine of the Centro...
- Clinical Outcomes and Joint Stability after Lateralized Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty with and without Subscapularis Repair: A Meta-Analysis Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
CONCLUSION: The results of the present findings suggest that it seems reasonable to reinsert the subscapularis whenever it is present, in good tissue conditions, and with no evidence of fatty degeneration of its muscle belly.
- Corona Health-A Study- and Sensor-Based Mobile App Platform Exploring Aspects of the COVID-19 Pandemic Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Physical and mental well-being during the COVID-19 pandemic is typically assessed via surveys, which might make it difficult to conduct longitudinal studies and might lead to data suffering from recall bias. Ecological momentary assessment (EMA) driven smartphone apps can help alleviate such issues, allowing for in situ recordings. Implementing such an app is not trivial, necessitates strict regulatory and legal requirements, and requires short development cycles to appropriately react to abrupt...
- Evaluation of Screening Tests in Bavarian Healthcare Facilities during the Second Wave of the SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic Sat, 24 Jul 2021 06:00:00 -0400
Due to the lack of data on asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2-positive persons in healthcare institutions, they represent an inestimable risk. Therefore, the aim of the current study was to evaluate the first 1,000,000 reported screening tests of asymptomatic staff, patients, residents, and visitors in hospitals and long-term care (LTC) facilities in the State of Bavaria over a period of seven months. Data were used from the online database BayCoRei (Bavarian Corona Screening Tests), established in July...